Thursday, June 30, 2016

My Abolitionist Journey as a Modern Day Freedom



 See full-sized image   My journey as an abolitionist (or modern day freedom fighter) began when I saw a flyer hanging up on a window outside my chiropractors office. A local group was having an awareness event. They were going to show the movie Call + Response a 2008 documentary directed by Justin Dillon. I just had to go.

I found this blurb about Call + Response here: A feature length documentary film that reveals the world’s 27 million dirtiest secrets: there are more slaves today than ever before in human history. CALL+RESPONSE takes viewers deep undercover where slavery is thriving - from the child brothels of Cambodia to the slave brick kilns of rural India - and reveals that in 2007, Slave Traders made more money than Google, Nike and Starbucks combined.

I knew there was slavery in the world and I never have felt comfortable about the whole "child prostitute" idea. To what extent there is slavery in the world or that it was as wide spread as it is or that it is the fastest growing criminal enterprise in the world..no, no I did not know. Like most American's I got up every day and went about the business of living. I have charities I donate to and I love all kinds of people and I am sucker for little ones. I am compassionate, however, compassion is as compassion knows to do. I just DID NOT KNOW!
Image result for better way imports
Do Good. Do Well.
After seeing the movie I became a Freedom Fighter with Better Way Imports. Freedom Fighters go into homes, organizations, businesses, and churches to build awareness through talking about the over a dozen different companies they represent. They could be from Nepal, Taiwan, or somewhere in the Philippines, etc. These companies help women who are brought out of sex-trafficking by giving them a different option for making a living. They learn to make purses, bags, blankets, jewelry, and more. Better Way Imports Freedom Fighter teach people about them and then sell their goods. It is amazing. It is better than giving them a fish. It is better than teaching them to fish. It is teaching them to fish and then becoming a customer by buying over and over again. And when you are wearing necklace or bracelet and someone comments.....you get to tell them about the women who made it. 
Image result for shared hope international
Then I discovered Shared Hope International and trained to become an Ambassador of Hope. As an ambassador I continued my growth and awareness. I left BWI to learn more and to work toward getting an opportunity to teach groups in schools, etc to build awareness. I love being part of prevention. I also started this blog to teach people who are new to learning about human trafficking. 
Image result for north county abolitionists
North County Abolitionists
Paso Robles, California
I continued reading, studying and attending events so I could gain more knowledge. One of these events is where I met a soon to be friend, Susan. We started the North County Abolitionists, in January of 2015, here in our area. Now we would be lost without Kristin. Along the way I joined the John Maxwell Team where I became a certified coach, teacher, and speaker. I have grown personally and gained more confidence for leadership, speaking and teaching which are an important part of my dream for building awareness. 

The North County Abolitionists show documentaries every other month and meet up to talk about our plans. Now others are joining the cause and the momentum is building. There is so much we each can do and sometimes we don't realize how help, which we may think of as small, is really helping. If my mom said it once she said it a million times: "Many hands make light work."

AWARENESS.  Compassion is as compassion knows to do
Now you know too. 


Image result for awareness
It is time to take off the rose colored glasses.
There is so much more that I could tell you. In fact, I would love to. I want you to know that your comments will help me write the article you are looking for. Help me answer questions you may have... ie make me aware. Maybe you would like me to do book reviews or give you info on how to get good books on this difficult subject. 

As the band Chicago song We Can Make It Happen says,


"We can make it happen
We can change the world now

We can save the children
We can make it better
We can make it happen
We can save the children
We can make it happen."



Please spread the word and leave a comment below. ;)









No comments:

Post a Comment